Friday, January 4, 2013

Landed.

I found myself sitting with two other 30 ish year old expats on my last flight into Cairo.  Perhaps it wasn't such a fluke as the assigned seats are followed about as closely as traffic regulations in Cairo.  Just find a seat and sit.  It works.

He is with the US military, staged just outside the city, and she, a school teacher headed for her last connecting flight at midnight into Kuwait.

I wave the cover of my Canadian passport to the border official and I'm through.

The airport smells of cigarettes and the outdoors of exhaust fumes and burn piles.  A haze of city lights falls over Cairo as we make our way down the highway.   A soundtrack of diesel trucks with dinky-toy car horns abound and high beams flash like strobe lights in substitute of turn signals.

My bicycle and baggage have arrived in one piece.  I would consider this transit a success.

1 comment:

  1. Safely landed little sister, that's what this cat likes to hear.

    I dreamed last night that I was attacked by poisonous snakes.

    I'm sure the two aren't related.

    Mike.

    ReplyDelete