Saturday, December 29, 2012

It Begins Again

It's hard to pinpoint exactly when it all begins.  I left my home in Victoria a month ago now, packing for three trips at once.  First to Vancouver for medic training, then Toronto for friends and family, and then... Cairo!
Three cities, three seasons.

I revel in my last days of hot water and just about everything else about life in Canada, as I say goodbye to friends and family for the next 5 months, and try to answer the daily question of "Sooo, are you so excited?"
"Of coarse!" I answer, with a comparable sincerity as one would reply "Good!" to the cue of "How's it going?"

Now, don't get me wrong, I am excited!  My 'job' is to ride my bike from Cairo to Cape Town for crying out loud.  On top of that I will be taking on the role of Communications Officer this year, a job which will continue to be merely a dream until, lets say Friday when it all really begins.

Why so hesitant then?  I currently sit in the midst of the absolute least enjoyable part of any serious expedition: packing.  It's not like I'm headed to the moon, but it sure does feel like it.  'Things' of coarse can be purchased in Cairo, if you feel like spending half a day explaining to a cabby where you need to go, and then the other half of the day trying to find the place.  The other option being, to be left high and dry in the midst of the Sahara desert, short a few essentials which might have kept me on the right side of in/sanity.  There's just no winning here, so my list just grows and shrinks, grows and shrinks, grows and shrinks, as does my brain, grows and shrinks, grows and shrinks.
The saving grace here; one way or another, come Wednesday, I'm out!

Knowing that the focus of my time on tour this year will be spent in the realm of communications, it would be a great assumption to make that this blog will be a little more lush than last year, or at least we hope.
You keep reading. I keep writing. 

2 comments: