Sunday, January 2, 2011

It begins

If one would have asked me last new years day what I dreamt I might be doing today, packing my bags for Africa would likely have been the punchline to a joke.  Now, as the reality of my departure draws ever crisper in the foreground of my mind, the reality of my adventure is decidedly just that.

Sometimes we find ourselves doing things by happenstance.  You run into an old friend on the street, go for lunch and end up with a story from their life you otherwise would have never heard.  You chat with a stranger who has a lead to rare secret you've always wondered the answer to.   You get an e-mail from across the world from someone who has been inspired by something you've done, and you realize how small the world is.    Or maybe one day you think you'll head downtown for a coffee with a new cyclist in town, and next thing you know, there is a job offer in you mailbox taking you to the other side of the world, to bicycle 12,000 kms across the African continent.

There is a quote out there for just about every situation or emotion, and this one really sums up my mental exit point when my brain swirls around trying to ask itself how on earth this massive undertaking managed to fall into my reality.

 "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans"
John Lennan


It will be a busy couple of days as I scramble around town for my last minute supplies to fill my bin allowance on the Tour D'afrique overlander.  If I get the chance I'll post an inventory, if for no other reason than my personal entertainment on the other side, and in the meantime I'll keep making other plans...

1 comment: